Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Kanakuk K2 Princesses: (L to R: Abby Sanders, Victoria Glatz, Taylor Beth Johnson, Laura Talton, Alexis Schields, Kate Phillips, Sally Higgins, Laura English, and Katie Monnet [not pictured: Delaney Ozmun)
Monday, March 30, 2009
I knew for a long time that I loved Chelsea Brandel and that I planned to ask her to marry me. For some reason it was laid on my heart to wait and tell her that I loved her until I put a ring on her finger. I remember the first time I realized that I loved her and that I would spend the rest of my life with her. It was half way through second term last summer. I was trying to fall asleep but I was to restless. I thought at first my sleeplessness came from the K-Life that ended an hour ago, but it was more than that. Then it hit me. For the first time in my life I realized I was in love. I would wait almost eight months before I said the words "I Love you." Here is how it happened:
1 Corinthians 13 is the famous verse on love. It says that love is patient, that love is kind, and that love keeps no record of wrong. For over a year, Chelsea has taught me what love means. So on the morning of February 25, she woke up and on her bible was a letter that had the first part of the bible verse on it. For the rest of the day she received letters from 1 Corinthians 13 and how she has demonstrated and has taught me what love is. I showed up at the house around 6:30 that night to pick her up. The Lord had blessed me with a great night to go for a walk outside. At this point, I am starting to get anxious for I knew that soon I would tell my best friend that i loved her. I still had one letter to give her. The letter that set me up to say the phrase that was burning to get out. Back behind her house is a cross that sits up on a hill. As we were walking in front of the cross I gave her the last letter to read out loud. The letter finished with this, "When you are crazy and passionate about something, you are determined to do whatever it takes to be faithful. Through the bond of Jesus Christ, I look forward to finishing the race together. For love is...." With a nervous I never felt before, I began to say, "For love is patient, love is kind, it does not envy boast, it is not proud...It always protects, always trust, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails." I then dropped to a knee and for the first time told her that I loved her and that i wanted to marry her and spend the rest of my life with her. It is a moment I will never forget as we hugged in front of the cross. I realized that the love that I share with my fiance is a small example of the love that Christ showed us by dying on the cross. It is through the love of Christ that Chelsea and I began a long and fun journey of loving each other as Christ loved us.
Friday, March 27, 2009
I literally don't know what to do on the ole' blog today so I found this cute heading of "My Favorite Things" and so I decided to share:
1. My friend Jane Harrison makes homeade cards, placemats and splat mats that are ADORABLE. You can go to http://www.plainlyjanemats.etsy.com/
2. Cool tips and crafts at http://www.tipjunkie.blogspot.com/
3. Kelly Clarkson's blog. http://www.iamkelly.wordpress.com/. I just love Kelly!
4. Soy sauce. I love the less sodium soy sauce! Weird, but I eat it with like every meal, ewww, not breakfast though.
5. Cute folders. Ya'll I have issues! I just love cute file folders! I just bought these paisley green ones from Barnes and Noble...oh, presh!
6. My mountain hardwear monkey fleece jacket...enough said!
7. SCRAPBLOG!!! Ya'll if you start scrapblogging you will never stop! Moms, you all will love this site! http://www.scrapblog.com/
8. My husband's NIKE pants! The most comfortable things I have ever slid onto my legs!!! I'm sure he would love to wear them again but I just love them!
9. My workout group (well by group it's just Bronwyn Rapp (Kwest) and Jennifer Farley (K1). We meet 3 times a week at 6:45 am and pump some iron!
10. This blog will make you cry. This girl named Katie is like 20 years old and now the mother of 14 Uganda kiddos! Incredible heart, incredible journey: http://www.kissesfromkatie.blogspot.com/
Well, enjoy this random post. I was going to post about AMERICAN IDOL, but my heart is still sad that Michael went home. He was so classy about getting voted off! Presh!
You're my favorite too,
Monday, March 23, 2009
Friday, March 20, 2009
1. Matt: okay, like his voice, just doesn't stick out to me very much
2. Lil: she has pipes, don't like how she talks back to the judges
3. Anoop: adore him, great voice
4. Scott: adore him, joyful spirit
5. Adam: umm...strange, sings like Cher
6. Allison: rocker chick, spunky
7. Danny: precious, down to earth, have heard he loves Jesus!
8. Kris: Go Arkansas, very john mayer like
9. Michael: guy next door, great voice
10. Megan (not in pic): cool, unique voice, quirky and I like her
Okay, so really to be honest as long as DANNY GOKEY wins I don't care what happens up to that! But my top 4 are: Danny, Anoop, Kris, and Lil/Allison/Megan (the guys are killin' this season). I would love to hear ya'lls thoughts on this season! Please don't leave all crazy comments about my opinions being wrong or if you love Adam and are mad at me...it's just a fun, simple opinion! Don't get all crazy girls!
p.s. Loved Carrie Underwood & Randy Travis last week! Her outfit was PRESH!
Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Saturday, March 14, 2009
Wednesday, March 11, 2009
This is from her mom: "Jr Miss is a scholarship program held in each county. The winner proceeds to State competition in July. She is judged on Physical Fitness, Interview, Academics, Talent and an on-stage question (Poise). Leslie won Physical Fitness, Interview, and Scholarship(Academics). She won almost $3000 in cash scholarships for the college of her choice. She has really worked hard. We are so proud of her. . . but I would have been even if she hadn't won!"
Also a note from her mom: "She has also started a girls Bible study and mentoring group this year , been a Senate page, and created a Child Abuse Awareness project. We are so proud of her. She wouldn't be who she is without Kamp. Thanks for giving her love, support, and sureness of her convictions."
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Shay Robbins, the McHubby, is doing a AWESOME give-away on his website if you think you have the next great skit character/idea in your creative brains. Just go to www.shayrobbins.org to get all the details.
I just love love, (typed in the Cupid voice from the summer)
p.s. Kana-cupid was one of my most fav skit characters in the 10 summers I have been at K2! What are some of ya'lls favorites from your years?
Monday, March 9, 2009
I love American Idol...tons! I found these "I am Second" Videos on YouTube. Wow!!! Pretty unbelievable! I love the simplicity and the authenticity of this video. It's a room, them, and their voice. Girls, you aren't alone. The awe of the power of the Lord someday will be seen and heard by every ear and every eye.
"All of life is getting to know God..." ~Jason Castro
Thursday, March 5, 2009
I have tangoed with this realization of "Ashley, why do you love it?" I wanted to share my answer:
1. I love it b/c all of us want (or for older folks...wanted) High School to be this movie. We wanted to find a best friend, break out of the box that we put ourselves in or had others put us in...we want to be in High School Musical. It's the dream High School experience. Everyone breaking the status quo and if you are a nerd, it's cool b/c Troy Bolton's girlfriend is on the science team. We want this. I can in a second tell you the boy that was like Troy Bolton in Cabot High School. It's so easy (I totally can't type his name b/c ya'll what if he found this or something...creepy). But the difference is that the boy that I think of as Troy from my high school...wasn't Mr. Smooth and wasn't nice to everyone. High School Musical simply is the high school we all dream to be a part of...dancing in the cafeteria and all!
2. Okay, when I say all, please don't get all crazy and comment to me that you have no desire to be Gabriella. To be honest, even if you type that I probably won't believe you. Again, I'm 28 and I want to be her in the movie (I know that Vanessa had some shady pics come out of her last year...so I'm talking about the character not the real person here). She brings a whole school together to be friends and to really be "all in this together." She finds her soul mate in Troy and is his refuge and falls in love to the point that they follow the "person that inspires" him and goes to college exactly 32.7 miles away (is it weird that I know that's the line Troy says). She dances on roofs and sings while pushing her hand through Troy's hair. Girls, you know that you envision these moments for your prom invitation. But alas, it's just not real. It's a movie Ashley! Bummer! I wish the movie could be a reality that there are high school boys like Troy Bolton. And maybe there are when it comes to sweetness, confidence, and looks. But sadly girls, Troy Bolton came with a finely tuned script that writers studied over for weeks, maybe months, of the best lines to make girls swoon over during each movie. In high school proms today instead of waltzing you get grinding and instead of sweet gestures you get suggestive pressure to do more. I guess more than anything I just want you to know that I'm sorry that the boys around you can't be more like Troy, Chad, and the rest of the gang. I know Prom is coming up for some of you...maybe you haven't been asked, maybe you have...either way know that Prom is so fun, but it is not the biggest thing in eternity (I'm sure some moms are saying AMEN with the pressure of Prom and the cost). Just a little story: my junior year, I had to ask a boy to prom...and girls, it was not a fun prom at all! Super awkward! I'm cringing as I type it! Too much hair poof, pantyhose, danced with my date 1 time...eeewwweeeyy!
Okay, so why do I type these weird ramblings...well, I guess I just wanted to simply remind you that high school will probably never be like High School Musical...tear...and I don't necessarily know if there is a spiritual lesson in these ramblings except maybe what kind of legacy will you leave on your high school, on your friends, on your classmates...what will you do in the last 16 minutes (get it...) of your time of influence on so many peers that need to see Christ in You.
So...I sort of made that a spiritual tye-in. Sort of...more than anything I hope this makes you laugh or mock me or join with me in my obsession of HSM3!
p.s. Favorite cheesy line: "I love you Wildcat"...oh Gabriella!
p.s.s. This is just a fun post, I know there are great guys that are high schoolers.
p.s.s.s. I want Shay and I to learn the waltz on the rooftop...wouldn't that be so fun! I'll let you know if I talk Shay into it...
Monday, March 2, 2009
I sat down with Jennafer White today from Wrent (Wrent Band). Brady & Jennafer have just released a new album called "Songs of Hope, Love, & Despair." Cool title, right? K2 girls, friends, and moms, you gotta check out their album. You can get it on iTunes and 50% of the earnings go to Cross International, which helps children in other countries get the shelter, schooling, water, vitamins and food they need each day! It's an unbelievable ministry that Wrent has partnered with! You can buy the album from iTunes for $9.90. What a deal! You can go straight to www.wrentband.com to see their tour schedule too!